9/08/2013

Teej celebrations

Today was a long day, so I will leave all the photos for another day.
Instead I've recorded three short films, to show our celebrations at Pashupatinath.

Film No. 1:
We walked pass the long, long line of women and paid a visit to the officer in charge with whom I sat down and had a chat about how silly it was that Leya and I weren't allowed inside the temple.
Then we sat outside the temple and watched all the women coming out. We tried to call Eva's mother, but the mobile phone reception came and went from one minute to next.
When we sat there hoping to catch them in the crowd, Eva was so tired I think she was sleeping with open eyes.
See the film here.

Film No. 2:
First we saw two small bull calfs walking across the temple square and then we saw this one laying in the middle of the stream of women.
They touched him to get blessed and gave him snacks that he happily eat. After a few minutes he got fed up and left.
See the film here.

Film No. 3:
When we were going to leave I saw that a lot of people were gathered around something that looked like an old wel.
Curious as I am I just had to look down and there were two disabled guys selling blessings. I must say they were popular.
In the film you can see how they pour milk and water over a phallic symbol. That is a way of giving puja (a religious ritual) to Lord Shiva, who is the real reason why women celebrate this festival. Next to their husbands that is.
See the film here.

No comments:

Post a Comment