5/02/2015

The earthquake

At 11.56 last Saturday the house started shaking like crazy.
We've had small earthquakes before, so we knew what was going on. We also knew that one day the big earthquake would hit the area. It was just a matter of time, like living with a time bomb.
At a moment like that you first and foremost become the parent. I rushed from room to room screaming for Leya, but I couldn't find her. I was in total panic til I realized she had just gone to a small shop close to our house to buy hair clips.
I screamed at my mother in law, Britt-Marie that she had to get out and in the stairs we met our landlords.
They stopped in the doorway and I screamed Ut! Ut! (I totally forgot the English word Out!).
I couldn't understand why they stopped until I came out. Flower pots from the roof top terrace were crashing on the ground and going out at that point had been really dangerous.
Finally we came out in the street and met up with other neighbors. Nicholas went to the shop and got Leya and I was so relieved to see her I can't express it in words.
Next to us is an empty plot where someone is growing vegetables and we all went in there to wait.
We sat down on the soil and waited for the second quake. My legs were like jelly and my heart was pounding. I'm pretty tough when it comes to crisis, but not when it comes to earthquakes.
The after shocks came, one after another and suddenly the landlords son came running with his phone. It was my mom calling from Sweden.
She was crying and that was the first time I understood something was going on. All houses in our neighborhood were fine, so we had no idea to what extent this earthquake had hit Kathmandu.
My mom was so relieved to hear my voice that both Britt-Marie and I started crying. My mom was lucky to come through and talk to us, because not long after the mobile system collapsed for a few days.
We lived outside for a few days. The government had told everyone to stay outdoors for 72 hours, so we were camping with our landlords and their big family at a party palace.
Leya got a new friend, Nimdiko.
Everyone was tired from all the tension and tried to get some rest between the scary after shocks.
Of course our dogs Angel and Lizzie came with us to the camp. They were really tired too since they guarded us during the nights.
Tuesday at lunch time we moved back to the house. Our house is safe and built for far worse earthquakes than this, but the first nights we slept with one eye open.
First we had some cleaning to do.
Still it's difficult to grasp the full disaster. We see the photos and videos like everyone else, but all newly built houses are still standing.
Now when we have got more energy we have started to gather money for Suresh, my little brother's, village. Here is the message I've sent to everyone in my email contact list:

Hello!

This is FIA/Ani and the reason why I'm sending you a message is because I found you in my email contact list.

We live in Kathmandu, Nepal since 3 years and by now I think all of you have heard about the earthquake that killed and injured thousands of people and ruined homes and cultural heritages.

We are just fine. After a few days staying outdoors we've now moved back home.
As you might have seen from photos and videos not everyone has been as lucky and blessed as us and we'd like to gather as much money as possible to help our friends who's families back in the home villages are left with nothing. Their mud houses and their livestock, like chicken, goats and water buffaloes are gone. We are talking about poor people who have lost everything.

We have a dear friend who would do anything for us and consider us family. His name is Suresh and he lives here in Kathmandu with his wife Muna, their 8 month old son Supreme and his two brothers. Suresh is only 25 years old and since he is the oldest son he is responsible for his entire family. It's a cultural structure practiced by most Nepalese families.
They are fine and their house here in Kathmandu is OK, but their families houses are gone or at least cracked and have to be rebuilt. Their animals, that give them daily milk and eggs, are gone and the small fields where they grow ginger and other vegetables, their only livelihood to buy salt etc and pay for their children's education, are destroyed.

There are many international help organizations doing their bit, but it's not enough in the long run and donating money to these villages, in the district Nuwakot, will be a way for you to contribute immediately, with instant effect. Your help will be concrete and we can guarantee that every rupee will end up in the right place.

If you want to help the devastated people of Nepal please make the payment via Western Union to:

First name: Ann-Sofie
Middle name: Wera Marie
Last name: Nero
Address: Kathmandu, Nepal
Phone: +977 9818372075

When you've made the payment please send me:

- The 10 digit MTCN no.
- The sender's full name

If you live in Sweden you can make the donation to our bank account: SEB 5304-03 055 65.

The Nepalese people are gentle and strong and I know they will rebuild Nepal, but right now they need your help.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Bless you and your family!

Regards Ani
You are welcome to follow my updates on Facebook: www.facebook.com/IlmaofSweden

No comments:

Post a Comment